The Hall Memorial Library opened in 1903 as the town's first free public library. It was built as a gift to the town from Francis Hall, in honor of his father, Judge John Hall and his brother, Edward Hall, headmasters of the world-renowned Hall School. Sadly, Francis Hall died before construction was complete. The 5,000 square foot state-of-the-art building contained stack areas, a reading room, children's room and museum. The 2nd story was designated as a picture gallery and public meeting space.
The library operated without much structural change until 1992, when a 19,000 square foot addition was completed. The current facility is home to a 70,500 volume collection in various media. The library serves the Ellington community of approximately 16,000 people as an important resource for education and recreation for all the citizens.